Follow Me!

Friday, May 1, 2015

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Rated PG-13 / 2 hr 21 min / Action - Adventure - SciFi

What is it about?

The Avengers are helping Shield with cleaning up the Hydra threat going base to base. They are really after Loki's magic wand so they can play Harry Potter. Expecto Patronum! Hydra has been performing human experiments and have two super humans of their own who they call 'The Twins'. No, they aren't mutants. Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch aren't related to Magneto at all. They are experiments. Yea, let's go with that. Anyway Tony Stark asks to get more playtime with the magic wand, and he finds an Artificial Intelligence within. He tries to use it to build his endgame, the project he calls Ultron. He imagines Ultron to be a global police force. Ultron ends up as a peace keeping robot with a sad face. Ultron decides that the Avengers are the biggest threat to peace, and tries to exterminate them.

You will like it if...

You like Marvel superhero movies. This one follows the same formula of previous Marvel movies which has proven itself to be a winning strategy if you're playing checkers. King me! I prefer to play poker, and this movie disappointed me more than anything. I feel like they bluffed me. It's my fault though. I expected it to be as amazing as The Lego Movie, err.. the first Avengers or both of those. Don't get me wrong, there are several bright spots throughout. Hawkeye gets fleshed out as a character without giving him his own movie.. shame on you Marvel. You give Ant Man his own movie, but not Hawkeye? Why? There are many nuggets of the same comedy goodness that made the first movie so endearing. The special effects are also cool and shiny. Oooooo Shiny!

Now on to the bad. The action scenes are so crowded that it all ends up being one big blur. There are cool moments sprinkled within, but they are too few. I need more sprinkles! Vision is the name of that new character that they don't really introduce. I don't know why they left that out. There are a lot of inconsistencies within the script otherwise. Many things get glossed over as the story gets forcefully shoved forward to the next action sequence. The scenes that don't get pushed like this are the ones that develop Hawkeye, which feel like they should be part of a solo Hawkeye flick. I know, I have a stick and I'm using it on that dead horse. The last thing that annoyed me is how they have mutants from the X-men part of the Marvel universe, but they completely change those character's back stories. It's like the X-men and mutants in general are dead to the Marvel movie universe. E Tu Joss Whedon! Why would you do this? We're all ready to love this movie, but Marvel dropped the ball. Let's face it. No matter what I say, you're going to see this movie. Even though I was annoyed and disappointed, Avengers: Age of Ultron is still an above average comic action movie that most people will enjoy.

Next Week

Hot Pursuit or Maggie

No comments: