Follow Me!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

5 Tips towards Staying Positive in a Mad World

As I write this I have a horrendous headcold that is making my whole body ache.  In spite of this, I am happy and staying positive.  If you aren't happy and/or positive then you need to look at the picture of the sleeping puppy more!  Seriously..  Puppy!  OK OK..  this post isn't about puppies.  This is about keeping that positivity going, and how I am able to accomplish this even with all the craziness that is going on in the world.

Why do I need to stay positive?? I'm cranky and I want my MTV to have music again!

In a world of negativity, you can be different.  You can be the light that everyone gravitates towards.  There is the saying that "Misery loves company", but that's more for people you already know.  Think about who comes by when you're sick.  Your mom?  girlfriend/boyfriend?  Everyone else is like "EWW Germs!"

As a writer I am always trying to reach new people to build up a bigger following.  People always follow celebrities because they are successful or sexy or have money etc..  They think of all of the positive things that those people have.  It makes them feel better to root for something positive even if it's for someone else.  If you project that same kind of positivity then you can make others feel the same thing.  Being positive makes it easier to make connections.

Below are some tips towards staying positive that I use:

1 - Choose to be Happy!

I know I know..  I never said this would be easy.  I realized that happiness is a choice several years ago, and worked towards the goal for several years.  I do still have my down times, but I remind myself that no matter how stupid or evil the situation is, I am still alive. Even when everything seems stacked against me, I know that it will be OK. Sometimes it's impossible to stay happy all of the time, and that's OK too. It's impossible to stay positive in every situation, but the point of all of this is to try.

2 - It is NOT that Serious!

"But Brian it IS that serious!"
Is there a PEZ gun to your head?  I didn't think so.  What happens if you don't get to 5000 followers on twitter by Friday?  Not much.  What happens if you don't write 2000 words today?  Not the end of the world.  Your book getting rejected by every agent and/or publisher is not going to be the cause of the zombie apocalypse.  Use it as motivation to do better, or as a sign that you need to do another revision. 

3 - Other people's problems are not your problems

Unless, of course, you are both being chased by Godzilla.  Then you might be in trouble.  Sometimes people will try to bring you down because they have their own personal problems.  I try to be supportive and help if I can, but when they try to rain on my parade.  I  get an umbrella and keep things moving.  It helps a lot to remind yourself that it's their problem, not yours.  Especially when it comes to dealing with people who hate you for no reason.  If you have no idea why they hate you and they won't tell you..  their problem not yours.  Don't let others drag you down into the pit of despair.  I guarantee you someone will try.

4 - Words only have the power that you give them

Anything that is said that will make you offended, angry, or otherwise flustered can be avoided.  Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will never pee in your corn flakes.  People give power over to words, and let those phrases effect them emotionally.  Don't let them effect you in a negative way.

5 -When in doubt, throw a tentacle monster made of Jello at it!  

Sometimes you have to take things to the silliest extreme that you can.  Whenever you need a pick me up, think of the most comedic way to describe something.  You can also try to make something up.  Write a bunch of silly words on small slips of paper, and put them in a cup or a hat.  Pick out 2 or 3 of them at a time, and make up an origin story for your "Flying Spaghetti Toaster".
  
I hope these tips help some of you to stay positive when the walls are closing in.  Just think "What would Indiana Jones do?" If you have any other tips please share them in the comments!

No comments: